I originally found this recipe in a booklet from “Kom op tegen kanker“, a flemish initiative to raise awareness funds against cancer. It is a typical flemish autumn dish, healthy and easy to make. My original version in dutch can be found here.
Ingredients (4 persons):
- 1 kg brussels sprouts
- 600gr potatoes
- 500gr minced poultry meat
- 0,5l vegetable of chicken broth
- one can of chopped tomatoes (400gr)
- salt, pepper and paprika to taste
- a little bit of nutmeg
- some fresh vegetables of the season (onion, garlic, parsley, celery, chives)
- Clean the sprouts.
- Peal the potatoes and cut them into cubes.
- Prepare the additional fresh vegetables.
- Boil the broth and cook the potatoes and the sprouts for 15 minutes in it.
- Meanwhile prepare meatballs from the minced meat, try to make them the same size as the brussels sprouts.
- Add the tomatoes, the vegetables and the meatballs.
- Let it simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add nutmeg, salt, pepper and paprika powder and serve immediately.