During this period of the year, you might already have been overloaded with Glühwein, Glögg, or lots of other Christmas drinks. To create a different taste, eggnog is a very easy and versatile alternative. You can serve it warm or cold and with so many variations in spices, just great!
Ingredients (for 2 glasses, be prepared to scale up!):
- 125 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 30 ml cream
- 30 gram sugar
- 1 packet vanilla sugar (8gr)
- 2 coffeespoons whisky liquor (you can also do any coffee liquor or speculates liquor)
- spices: nutmeg, clove (for other tips, see below)
- Mix the egg with the sugar and the vanilla sugar, until creamy.
- Heat the milk, until the vapour comes off, but be sure not to let it cook!
- Add the egg mixture to the hot milk, and stir constantly.
- Keep mixing for a few minutes, until the consistency is changing to thicker and smoother.
- Add the cream, liquor and spices, while constantly mixing.
- Put it in the refrigerator for a few hours to let the spices work.
Now you have so many ways to serve it. For example as a dessert with some whipped cream and beaten nuts or speculate to make it crunchy. Or if you have something left, why not just adding a spoon to your coffee? Or make a “latte eggnog macchiato”.
You may also decide to serve it as a hot sauce with ice. Maybe in combination with some hot chocolate sauce and Bresilienne.
There is also a lot of potential in different combinations of spices. Why not with vanilla and cinnamon for a sweeter taste?
Or on a cold day, you may warm it and then go outside and drink it while standing around a wood fire.
For the Dutch version of this recipe, please have a look at “Gerechtenweb“