During this cold and unpleasant winter weather, a hot and tasteful oven dish may bring some energy to survive these dark days. Though it is simple, it requires some preparation. But besides that, this oven dish with chicory and leek is super easy to make.
- 2 pieces chicory
- 1 stem of leek
- 200 grams minced beef
- 400 grams potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 50 grams butter
- 50 grams flour
- 400 ml milk
- 100 grams ground cheese
- pepper, salt, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, chili powder
- Peel the potatoes, halve them and cut them into slices.
- Steam the potatoes for 15 minutes until tender. You can also cook them , but I prefer to steam because it preserves better the taste.
- Cut the chicory finely.
- Melt some butter in a pan and bake in the chicory until the light starts to turn brown.
- Meanwhile cut the leek into small pieces.
- Fry the leeks in the same way as the chicory in the same pan.
- Cut the onion finely, and fry in a pan with oil.
- Add the minced meat to the onion and let it bake.
- Season the minced meat with pepper and salt or other spices to taste.
- Melt the butter for the bechamel sauce in a pan.
- Add the flour and stir well until it becomes consistent.
- Add the milk gradually to the bechamel base and stir well until a smooth sauce is formed.
- Season the sauce with some cayenne pepper and chilli powder.
- Add the ground cheese to the sauce.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees and find an oven dish.
- Spread the potato slices over the bottom of the dish.
- Now add layers with the chicory, the leeks and the minced meat.
- Finally add the béchamel sauce on top.
- To finish, season with pepper and nutmeg and sprinkle some ground cheese over the sauce.
- Put everything in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve while hot, and enjoy with a glass of red wine.
Besides this oven dish with chicory and leek you can find a lot of other surprising oven dishes on this blog: