Watermelon strawberry salad is an ideal dish for these terribly hot summer days. It is light, healthy, extraordinary tasteful and the fruits contain a lot of liquid, you need this during these days.
I found the original of this recipe as “watermelon caprese” on insolence and wine, a blog that specialises in the combination of food and wine. The perfect wine to go with this salad is a well cooled rose.
watermelon strawberry salad
- 75 gram arugula salad
- 200 gram strawberries
- 300 gram watermelon cubes
- 1 tablespoon of granulated goat cheese
- a handful pine nuts
- 100 ml balsamico
- 100 ml honey
- a handful of fresh mint (finely chopped)
- olive oil
- Mix the balsamico and the honey. Bring to boil and let it reduce by half.
- Let is cool down and put it aside. You can prepare this perfectly in advance.
- Cut the watermelon into cubes, slice the strawberries and chop the mint finely.
- Put the arugula in a salad bowl, and add olive oil and salt.
- Add the watermelon, strawberries, pine nuts and goat cheese and mix everything well.
- Serve on plates and garnish with some mint and the balsamico honey mixture.
I am probably not the only person in the world who is fond of strawberries. Moreover I like to combine them in unexpected, surprising combinations, like also my strawberry-asparagus salad or in a combination with arugula and avocado.