Ceviche is on my to-do list for a long time already. One of my favourite cooks, Chakall, made a very good version of ceviche with mango. He is also the one that gave me the inspiration for the Mexican style chocolate chicken.
Recently, the warm weather and a different foodblog brought ceviche back to my mind. The version I made is largely based on the version of Inmamamaggieskitchen.
The idea of “cooking” fish in lemon juice is quite interesting and of course I am curious on the outcome. It is very simple, very cheap, with few ingredients, but it takes some preparation time. You have to start to prepare the fish the evening before. You can use different kinds of white fish, in this case I used Pangasius, which is currently one of my favourites (see also pangasius in tomato saffron sauce).
ceviche - pescado de ceviche
- 250 gram white fish eg pangasius
- 2 limes juicy
- 2 tomatoes medium sized
- 1 chilli pepper
- 1 shallot
- a handful cilantro
- Press the limes and cut the fish into small pieces. Mix them well, cover the mixture and put it overnight in the refrigerator.
- Chop the shallot and the chilli pepper into small pieces. Remove the seeds of the chille pepper.
- On the next day, dice the tomatoes, keep only the flesh of the tomatoes.
- Mix the tomatoes, shallot and chilli pepper with the fish and put in the refrigerator for one more hour.
- Chop the cilantro and add It to the mixture. Season with pepper and salt up to taste.
As the previous recipe (watermelon strawberry salad) , this dish is perfectly well for the hot summer days. According to the forecasts the weather will continue to stay this hot for at least a week. Perfect for a further series of summer dishes for the hot weather.