Smoked salmon blinis with an apple sour cream topping is a rehearsal for a starter for the Christmas menu. I saw this recipe on the website of the Flemish television cook Jeroen Meus. Almost immediately I decided to give it a try. His creations are always very easy and tasty, so that everyone can make them. The motto of his program is “daily food”.
HIs recipes inspired me on several occasions. Another surprising combination with apples is the apple-potato salad. I also like his tagliatelle with chicken, zucchini and buffalo mozzarella. If you understand Dutch (or use google translate or so) make sure to visit his website “Dagelijkse kost”.
Blinis are a traditional Russian pancake variation with buckwheat and yeast. The dough is much thicker than traditional pancakes. So the pancakes are smaller but thicker and are used for more savoury dishes. You can top them with very exclusive ingredients like caviar, but this is rather a working hero version with smoked salmon and a salad of apple, sour cream and fresh cheese.
smoked salmon blinis with apple and sour cream
- 200 gram buckwheat
- 250 ml milk
- 2 pieces eggs
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh cheese Philadelphia for example
- 1 piece apple Jonagold
- 8 slices smoked salmon
- 1/4 bunch fresh chives
- 1 piece lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey very liquid
- some sprigs dill
- pepper, salt
- 7 gram instant yeast one packet
- Warm the milk until lukewarm and add the yeast. Mix the yeast through the milk.
- Add the milk to the buckwheat and mix well.
- Add a bit of salt as well.
- Split the eggs and add the yolks to the dough.
- Set the dough aside on a warm place and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Peel the apple and cut it into very small pieces (brunoise)
- Mix the apple pieces with the sour cream and the fresh cheese.
- Add some lemon juice. Then add some honey counter the taste of the lemon. Taste and combine until you have a very tasteful mixture.
- Chop the chives and add them to the mixture.
- Finally add some dill, but be careful so that it does not become too dominant.
- Season with pepper and salt and put it in the fridge.
- Beat the egg white with a mixer until stiff, and add it to the buckwheat dough.
- Heat a pan and bake the pancakes for 2 minutes on each side.
- Place a slice of smoked salmon on the blini and add a quenelle of the creamy apple-cheese mixture.