Cinnamon butter gnocchi is an Italian carnival recipe I found on “the pasta project“. It is so special and surprising I had to try this for myself. And as carnival is happening right now, it was the ideal week to make it. This is a traditional recipe from the Veneto region in the North of Italy. It is very easy and you only need brown sugar and the ingredients mentioned in the title. Some Parmigiano for an additional taste is an option.
It the Roman-catholic region Carnival is the weak before the 40 day fasting period before Easter starts on Ash Wednesday. People eat and drink and party before fasting the 40 days before Easter. Nowadays Carnival is much more alive than fasting.
In Belgium, people use to eat fries and fatty burgers to have a bottom layer that can absorb the alcohol from the carnival parties. I guess in Italy they do the same, but then with baked gnocchi.
cinnamon butter gnocchi
- 400 gram gnocchi
- 120 gram butter
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 50 gram brown sugar
- 50 gram Parmigiano optional
- Cook the gnocchi as indicated on the package.
- Once they are ready, take them out of the water and drain them.
- Melt the butter in a pan and mix the cinnamon with the butter.
- Bake the gnocchi during 3-4 minutes in the pan.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the gnocchi and optionally the Parmigiano just before serving and enjoy.
This is a very special variant of the mediterranean kitchen that I like so much. Other pasta recipes you may like are:
- Mediterranean oven chicken
- Tuscan linguine with scallops and spinach cream
- Sicilian tuna pasta with baked capers
- Linguine alla puttanesca
- Tagliatelle with chicken, zucchini and buffalo mozzarella