Last week I made this stew with pointed cabbage and Schupfnudel. It is very easy and you need less than 30 minutes to make it. I used minced beef to make this stew. The two other main ingredients may require some additional information.
Schupfnudel are a German kind of noodles. They are best known as a Bavarian specialty, but also other parts of Southern Germany and Austria claim these noodles under different names. Since the potatoes were introduced in Europe they are mostly made of potatoes. The best way to make them is to bake them in a pan, so they turn golden brown. For obvious reasons, they are sometimes also names finger noodles. Two years ago I posted a vegetarian recipe with this German pasta.
the pointed cabbage is like cabbage in general also typical for the German kitchen. the tricky point here is that it takes an enormous volume before it is baked. So make sure to use a big pan when you make this recipe. No worry however, after baking and cooking the volume reduces a lot. Of course, you can use also other types of cabbage for this recipe, like for example white cabbage.
Stew with pointed cabbage and Schupfnudel
- 1 piece pointed cabbage app. 700 gram
- 400 gram minced beef
- 500 gram Schupfnudel
- 1 piece onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 250 ml vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cream
- spices salt, pepper, paprika, chili
- garnishing grated cheese, chives
- Bake the Schupfnudel in a pan for about 5 minutes until golden brown. then put them aside and keep warm (in the oven, 60°C).
- Finely chop the pointed cabbage and remove the hard parts from the stump.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat some oil in the same pan, and bake the onion and the garlic for about a minute.
- Add the minced beef and the tomato paste, and mix everything well.
- Add the pointed cabbage and stir fry everything for about two minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, the cream and the spices, and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Put a lid on it.
- Serve while hot and garnish with the grated cheese and the chives.
- Add the finger noodles (Schupfnudel) on top and enjoy.