I had some polenta leftover in my kitchen. So I was looking for a creative way to use it in a recipe. On Homemadeandyummy I found a vibrant cake recipe with polenta. I used all the leftovers I found, with also rests of almond powder and coconut rasp. Together they form a refreshing polenta coconut cake with lemon. The combination of lemon and coconut is wonderful, and the polenta gives this cake its typical yellow colour.
refreshing polenta coconut cake with lemon
- 120 gram polenta
- 80 gram almond powder
- 120 gram coconut rasp
- 225 gram butter
- 200 gram sugar
- 7,5 gram baking powder half a package
- 3 whole eggs
- zest of one lemon
- juice of one lemon
- 90 gram icing sugar
- Preheat the oven on 180°C.
- Grease a cake form (26cm) and cover with almond powder.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl: polenta, sugar, almond powder, coconut rasp, zest of a lemon.
- Add the eggs and the butter to the dough and mix everything well.
- Pour in a cake form, and put it in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the lemon juice in a pan and add the icing sugar. Mix until the sugar has dissolved completely. Keep the syrup warm.
- Remove the cake from the oven and prick the top of the cake all over with a fork.
- Pour the lemon syrup over the cake and let it cool down completely.
- Before serving you can garnish with icing sugar, red fruits and Crème fraîche.
Subscribe to surprising.recipes
You can vary between the quantities of coconut rasp and almond powder. It changes the texture of the cake from smoother (more coconut) to thicker (more almond powder). However, I would not recommend to use less almond powder than in my recipe. I think the risk that it will fall apart afterwards will be too big in that case.
Polenta Is a North-Italian specialty made of ground cornmeal. That’s also where the typical yellow colour is coming from. It can be cooked (see my Pangasiusfilet with Polenta), grilled, used in a porridge or pudding, and also be used in a cake. It is used to replace flour in gluten free cake recipes.
Are you looking for more surprising.cakes? Then check the following recipes:
- gin tonic cake
- healthy breakfast cake with fruits, nuts and oatmeal
- easy poppy seed cake
- pineapple marzipan cake
- blueberry almond cake
- chocolate coconut cake
- easy butter rum cake
- easy apple cake
- Biscoff pear pie
If you speak Dutch, you can find the Dutch version of this recipe on gerechtenweb.blog.