This delicious summer smoked mackerel salad was the starter for the Easter menu. The summerly weather was perfect for this refreshing starter. It is a combination of smoked mackerel with apples. I brought them to taste with pickles, capers, lemon juice and mayonnaise.
The inspiration comes from a Dutch foodblog, smaakmenutie. It has a broad variety of recipes ranging from Asian to classical Fresh kitchen. With some adaptions and a presentation similar to the quail eggs tonnato I made last year I earned a very positive feedback from the whole of the family.
Last year, also with Easter, I also used smoked mackerel, but for a starter: a creamy date snack with smoked mackerel, a surprising combination with dates and skyr.
delicious summer smoked mackerel salad
- 250 gram smoked mackerel
- 1 piece apple
- 4 pieces small pickles
- 1 coffee spoon capers
- 1 piece small onion
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 pieces radish
- 8 pieces cherry tomatoes
- 50 gram rocket salad
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- some mayonaise
- Crush the smoked mackerel.
- Finely chop the onion and the pickles, and add them to the mackerel.
- Finely chop the apple, and add it also to the mackerel.
- Immediately afterwards, add the lemon juice to prevent the apple from turning brown. Mix everything well.
- Add the capers and the mayonnaise, and mix everything until you have a smooth consistency.
- Chop the rocket salad, and sprinkle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and pepper.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and chop the radishes.
- Arrange the rocket salad on the plates and place the salad on top of it. Garnish with the cherry tomatoes and the radish.
You can find the Dutch version of the recipe on Gerechtenweb: