I made this healthy breakfast cake with fruits, nuts and oatmeal a few weeks ago for my colleagues in the office. We had a whole day workshop, and as a team event we had to bring our lunch ourselves. The goal was that we get interested in each others creations, and exchange experiences and ideas. It worked 🙂
I decided to make this breakfast cake, although it was for lunch. But the taste is great, and you are allowed to enjoy it any time of the day. It is so easy, and at the same time it has so many ingredients and flavours, just delicious. You have the dry components, which are mainly flour, ground nuts and oatmeal. The main wet components are eggs, some milk and cottage cheese. Fruits are apple, banana, blueberries and cranberries. And finally there is a lonesome carrot to make it complete. With so many fruits, sugar is only an option.
The inspiration for this cake comes from a dutch foodblog, Carola bakt zoethoudertjes. As mentioned before, I was looking for something that could be prepared in advance, was easy and intriguing enough to initiate talks between colleagues.
healthy breakfast cake with fruits, nuts and oatmeal
- 200 gram plain flour
- 150 gram oatmeal
- 200 gram mixed nuts
- 1 apple
- 1 carrot
- 2 bananas
- 50 gram dried cranberries
- 200 gram blueberries
- 60 ml milk
- 200 gram cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 22 gram baking powder 1,5 package
- 8 gram vanilla sugar 1 package
- 3 coffeespoons cinnamon depending on your taste
- Ground the oatmeal and half of the nuts (100 gram) in the kitchen robot.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl: flour, oatmeal, ground nuts, vanilla sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon.
- Peel and grate the apple and the carrot.
- Mash the bananas.
- Add the wet ingredients (milk, eggs, cottage cheese) and the grated and mashed fruits (apple, carrot, banana) to the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Mix everything well. To finish, also add the dried cranberries and the blueberries under the dough.
- Preheat the oven at 160°C.
- Meanwhile, grease a baking form (24 cm) and cover with oatmeal.
- Carefully transfer the dough in the form.
- Bake in the oven for 55 minutes.
Subscribe to surprising.recipes
Are you looking for other special ideas for breakfast? Maybe these surprising breakfast will be your perfect start of the day:
- Mascarpone pancakes with red fruit compote
- Dutch mini buckwheat pancakes with banana and blueberries
- The famous Belgian blue cheese bacon waffles
If you speak Dutch, you can find the Dutch version of this recipe on gerechtenweb.blog.