The asparagus season is almost coming to an end. This fish stew with green and white asparagus is my surprising asparagus recipe for this year. The inspiration to combine a fish stew with green and white asparagus comes from a Belgian site, 15gram.be. You can make many variations, and this is what came out of it in my kitchen.
I wanted to make a combination of green and white asparagus this time. White asparagus is really seasonal. Green asparagus however is more available throughout the year. They grow above the ground and therefore become their green colour. They also contain more minerals that their white brothers and sisters. Another difference with the white asparagus is that it is not necessary to peel them: the green one are softer and more flexible, and certainly the smaller ones do not need peeling. If you have a really big one, consider peeling too. Just as with the white ones, it is advisable to cut off the lower part. You can find more info (in Dutch) on aspergeskoken.info.
Fish stew with green and white asparagus
- 250 gram white asparagus
- 250 gram green asparagus
- 200 gram codfish
- 200 gram pangasius
- 100 gram North sea shrimps
- 200 ml cream
- 100 ml white wine
- 2 carrots
- 100 gram peas
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 chili pepper
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1 coffeespoon curry powder
- 1 coffeespoon starch
- olive oil
- some chives
- Peel the white asparagus and if needed also the green asparagus. Cut of the wooden parts at the bottom. Cut the peeled asparagus in two.
- Cut the fish into pieces of app. 2 cm.
- Chop the onion, garlic, chili pepper and carrots.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and bake the onion, garlic and chili pepper for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile put the carrots and the peas in a tray to be steamed above the baking spices.
- Add the white wine to the spices, and let the carrots and the peas steam for 5 minutes in the heat of it.
- After that, add the lower parts of the asparagus, and three minutes later also add the top parts of the asparagus. Let it steam for three more minutes.
- Now add the vegetables to the broth below and add the cream, the halved cherry tomatoes ,the curry powder and the starch.
- Add the fish and let everything cook for a few minutes.
- Finally add the North sea shrimps.
- Put on dishes and add some chives for garnishing.
As I wanted to make a light menu, I just served it with some French baguette and a glass of white wine.
If you are looking at some other inspiration for a tasty and surprising asparagus recipe, you may browse through these ones for some new ideas:
- Asparagus chicken-curry spring cocktail
- Flemish asparagus
- Breaded asparagus
- Asparagus-strawberry salad
- Haddock with asparagus finished with Mediterranean bell pepper paste