I had the idea to make a salmon burger when I saw the Belgian television cook Jeroen Meus making it in his program “Dagelijkse kost“. I liked the idea, but I don’t like the bread in which burger are traditionally served: too dry, too weak, too whatever, I don’t think it fits to the burger. So I started thinking of something else.
As I live in Germany, there is no way to escape “Kartoffelpuffer“: kind of a thick pancake made of rasped potato. I thought it might be a good idea to use them instead of bread. I am very happy, because it really works great with the salmon burger!
The salmon and the potato are the main actors in this recipe. And stunningly, they are both prepared in almost the same way. Both are mashed or rasped. Herbs, binder and egg finish both of them before kneading them into the right shape.
Salmon burgers with crispy potato pancakes
- 300 gram salmon
- 1 kg potatoes
- 30 gram breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs
- 3 small onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons starch
- paprika powder
- Remove the skin from the salmon and cut into large pieces.
- Cut one onion and the garlic into large pieces.
- Put the salmon, onion, garlic, mustard and breadcrumbs in the kitchen robot and mix everything.
- Then add an egg, and season the salmon mass with salt and pepper.
- Put the mixture in the fridge and let it rest for a while.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and rasp them.
- Collect the rasped potatoes in a towel, and press the water out of them. This is an important step, otherwise they will not stick together while baking.
- Finely chop the two remaining onions, and mix them together with the starch, eggs, paprika powder, pepper and salt und the rasped potatoes.
- Melt butter in a pan, form thick potato pancakes and bake them for 7-10 minutes on both sides in the pan.
- Meanwhile melt the butter for the salmon burgers in another pan.
- Remove the salmon mass from the fridge, and form burgers out of them.
- Bake the salmon burgers for 5 minutes on each side.
I used the potato pancakes as the “bread” to serve the burger in. I finished the dish with some cherry tomatoes and a salad mix. Then you can enjoy it with a glass of white wine.
You can also use the salmon mass to make a snack or appetizer. Roll balls out of them and bake these. To get some inspiration, please have a look at these fishballs with cilantro. If you are interested in a completely different kind of potato pancake, please check this poultry liver with potato pancake. This is a Slovakian specialty.