Golden brown-fried cashew nuts play the leading role in this delicious and delicious cashew.chicken. What is more, this dish is very easy to make and has only a few ingredients! You can easily prepare it in less than half an hour. Of course you can vary with the spices according to your taste.
- 400 gram chicken cubes
- 120 gram cashew nuts
- 1 spring onion
- chili flakes
for the marinade
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- black pepper
for the sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 50 ml water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Marinate the chicken cubes in the soy sauce and the sesame oil. Season with black pepper.
- Heat some neutral oil in a wok. When it is hot, fry the cashew nuts until they turn golden brown. Then put them aside.
- Put some oil in the wok again, and fry the marinated chicken cubes until golden brown. Sprinkle with some chili flakes if you like to have them a little spicy.
- When the chicken is fried on all sides, add water and the different sauces: soy sauce, chili sauce, oyster sauce and rice vinegar. Mix everything well together and then add the dissolved corn starch.
- Simmer the chicken in the sauce for another 5 minutes until it has reduced and thickened.
- Serve with basmati rice and finish with a spring onion.
Subscribe to surprising.recipes
About cashew nuts
Cashew nuts are the fruits of the cashew tree. This has its origin in Brazil. But around 1550, the Portuguese settlers started to export them. Today, the largest cashew producers are located in Africa (Madagascar, Benin, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Burkina Faso, Mozambique) and Asia (India, Vietnam, Indonesia).
The cashew nut is a textbook example of a false fruit. The tree has another fruit that is much bigger and visible. The cashew nuts itself hangs very discreetly at the bottom of this much larger false fruit. And the cashew tree has even more defenses for the precious fruit. A poisonous skin surrounds the actual fruit. This can cause skin irritation. The processing of the notes is largely done manually. This of course also explains the relatively high cost price.
Cashew nuts are very healthy. They contain a lot of magnesium, phosphorus, iron and proteins. A dark brown viscous oil is extracted from the shell of the cashew nut.
For sure, by now you are getting interested in more recipes with cashew nuts! No problem, we have some great ideas for you:
- asparagus strawberry salad
- malai kofta
- sweet and sour thai chicken with peaches
- healthy breakfast cake with fruits, nuts and oatmeal
We also have chicken quite often on the menu here. Just recently, we made an overview of 10 suprising chicken recipes. Be sure to check it out!
I made this delicious cashew.chicken in a wok. But it is also suits perfectly for an instant pot. For that, I refer to instant pot cashew chicken. This was also the recipe that inspired me for making this one.
If you speak Dutch, you can find the Dutch version of this recipe on gerechtenweb.blog.