When I saw this sweet&sour Thai chicken with peaches, I put it immediately on my to-do list. This is the Pinterest board interesting recipes, where I save recipes I like for later inspiration. This recipe has everything: it is easy, it has a surprising combination of ingredients, and it has all kinds of flavours from sweet over bitter, salt and sour to crunchy. Delicious for the mouth.
I made it the first time some weeks ago, when I was with friends. The reactions were so positive that I decided to redo it for the blog with pictures and so to share it to the world. The original idea comes from the foodblog.net, where I saw something like this first.
sweet&sour Thai chicken with peaches
- 400 gram chicken breasts
- 1 can halved peaches 400 gram
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon lemon gras optional
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 lemon
- 50 gram peanuts
- 15 gram fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon starch
- Cut and rasp the vegetables into pieces: the onion, the bell pepper, the garlic, the ginger and optionally the lemon grass.
- Cut the chicken breast into pieces.
- Heat the coconut oil in a wok, and bake the chicken breast pieces on high temperature until golden brown.
- Put them aside, and now bake the onion, with the garlic, rasped ginger and rasped lemon grass on medium temperature for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, separate the peaches from the sauce and cut them also into pieces.
- Add the juice of the lemon to the sauce of the peaches. Also add the fish sauce, soy sauce, honey, chili sauce and rice vinegar. Also add the stark and mix the sauce very well.
- Add the sauce, the chicken and the bell pepper to the baked onion, and let everything simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile ground the peanuts and cut the cilantro into fine pieces. Add them 5 minutes before finishing, so they can integrate well with the other ingredients.
- Serve while hot with rice and a glass of wine.
Are you interested in other surprising chicken recipes? Maybe this recipes give you some inspiration:
If you want, you can also (partially) use fresh peaches if they are available. However make sure that they are not overripe. Otherwise you will risk that they disintegrate while cooking. And of course it is easy because you can reuse the sauce in the case of canned peaches. So nothing gets lost.
I also like the grounded peanuts in this recipe. Besides the overwhelming tastes in the recipe, they give it some crunchy bites. You may even consider roasting and salting them a bit for the extra special touch. I might also do that on a next occasion. Last time I used cashew nuts, which also works quite well in this recipe.
I did not add extra pepper and salt, as there is already so much flavour in the ingredients and the spices. But that is up to everyones taste of course.