Gnocchi with cranberry sauce is a delicious vegetarian North-South combination. This is something we love to do at surprising.recipes, bringing together ingredients together in surprising combinations. the Gnocchi and the Parmezan are showcasing the Italian kitchen. Cranberries however are associated with Northern countries in Scandinavia. For me, cranberries stand for Finland. So here we combine the North of Finland and the South of Italy in one delicious recipe.
As a vegetarian recipe, it is of course very healthy. It is also ready in no time. This recipe proves that you can also use cranberries outside the Christmas period.
gnocchi with cranberry sauce
- 400 gram gnocchi
- 1 onion yellow
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 chili pepper red
- 1 can tomato cubes 400 gr
- 100 gram cranberries
- 50 gram walnuts
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Parmezan grated
- Cut the onion, chili pepper and garlic into small pieces. Chop the walnuts and slice the rosemary leaves very finely.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan, and bake the onion, garlic and chili pepper for a few minutes.
- Add the tomato cubes, cranberries, walnuts, rosemary and a bit of salt.
- Let the cranberry sauce simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the gnocchi as indicated on the packaging.
- Arrange the gnocchi and the cranberry sauce on the plates. Garnish with some grated Parmezan.
Subscribe to surprising.recipes
Some people claim that cranberries are the healthiest food in the world. Healthy they are for sure. If you want a long discussion, mention it at the table 🙂
Cranberries grow in the northern latitudes, in cooler regions. That is why I associate them always with Scandinavia, more specifically Finland. But they are also very popular in North America and Canada.
Are you interested in some other recipes with cranberries? Some ideas on surprising.recipes:
Everybody knows that gnocchi are a typical Italian pasta type. Even the name could not be more Italian. People also call them potato pasta, as they are normally made from potatoes.
Please check also this surprising gnocchi recipes.
Germany also has a very special type of potato pasta. They call it “Schupfnudel”. The English name is finger pasta, given their finger-like form. Some inspiration on surprising.recipes.